Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Avi Solomon’s Journey From Yeshiva To College (Part 1)

I began attending yeshiva at the age of 18 in the year 2002. My two years at Ohr Somayach in Jerusalem were great. I even enjoyed a care-free year at Shor Yoshuv in Far Rockaway, NY. Granted, I was poor, but the yeshiva covered my essential necessities. However, as I began approaching the age of 21 my financial worry free life began crumbling. I wanted to get married and I knew that I didn’t want to go into shidduchim with a hand out to collect. I’m not condemning those who are fine with being supported by their wife or father-in-law. However, I personally don’t want to pursue such a shidduch. I consulted my Rabbeim about my concerns and was told, “Stay in yeshiva.” The next year I returned to Israel to learn in Midrash Shmuel with not a cent to my name. I kept pushing myself to stay in yeshiva, but my heart knew that I needed to choose between yeshiva and getting married. (Read more)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story. You bring out some great points. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I thought you said college was a solution for troubled teens in your last article. The story you tell doesn't sound like that of a troubled teen.

Anonymous said...

Working at NPGS is a way to support yourself through college or is it more prestigious than working at Shlomie's?

Anonymous said...

intresting college does not have to be on campus with all the decay in american society

the problem today with college is not so much what they teach but the enviorment

boruch hashem we have great orgs that help many frum jews get a degree
with out having to step on campus

Anonymous said...

rabbi salamon is that you!! Oh I'm sorry I mixed up salamons! Did u get a degree in daas torah??

Anonymous said...

Whooooo cares?

Anonymous said...

Just remember what a famous adom gadol once said. FRUMKIET=KRUMKIET and NOT the other way around

Anonymous said...

Its good enough for Lakewood Vaabelach to shlep to Touro in Brooklyn twice a week,but not good enough for the men?

Anonymous said...

Solomon is an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

To sum up a rambling article:
I worried too much about parnassah to trust my rebbeim and G-d, so I went to college. So should you.
Did I get that right?

Anonymous said...

avi, I think this is not a good idea to expose yourself like this. we jews are btznius and our lives should not be an open book for every tom dick and harry to comment on . as far as the college thing, again if each person has hid daas torah, they can never go wrong .

Anonymous said...

If us jews are *bitznius* as you put then why on earth are we jews building these most ostentacious homes fit for a king. You call this bitznius? . You call bitznius women who go shopping during the week all made up as if coming from a wedding yet when they are at home they dress like shlumps ??

A true friend said...

Dear Avi ,
You need to keep on going with these reports . Dont let anyone tell you otherwise . You say it the way it must be said , even though it hurts a bit or even alot . Avi . u are the greatest . My bracha to you is that in the zechus of you bringing out the truth in the torah velt you will be zoiche to find your bashert beh vey soon. Much hatzlocho . Your a great inspiration to us alll

Anonymous said...

Avi has commited himself to Askanus. As part of this mesiras nefesh for the klal, Avi has chosen to give up his privacy to help the Klal.

Avi - you are amazing!!!

askan to be said...

if Its good enough for Lakewood Vaabelach to attend OC college or to shlep to Touro in Brooklyn twice a week,but not good enough for the men, then i see major hypocricy is our yeshiva/kollel system!