Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Continued: Solomon’s Journey From Yeshiva To College (Part 1)

(Continued) I went to one of my most trusted Rabbeim who knew me well from my years in Ohr Somayach. I explained the situation to him and he told me that he felt I should stay in yeshiva, but could leave to pursue parnassa if I felt that strong about the issue. I moved to Lakewood where I took a job at Shloimy’s Kosher World, while I was hoping to figure out what I was going to do with myself. College was on the back of my mind, but I still had fears. I was 24 and wouldn’t graduate until I was 28. I didn’t know how I was going to pay for college. I was afraid that I wouldn’t be successful. I had these fears along with a number of other concerns. Nevertheless, my experience at Shloimy’s Kosher World convinced me that college was my only ticket out. In a world of truth a cashier probably deserves the same respect as a lawyer, doctor, accountant, or any other hard working American. However, we live in a world of falsehood. People might not admit it, but many people don’t have a great deal of respect for a cashier. Proof is that not all, but a good number of customers talked to me as if I was less than human. I even discovered that the shadchanim shunned a cashier. I went to a certain shadchan and when I mentioned that I was a cashier at Shloimy’s Kosher World I knew from the expression on his face that he didn’t have a girl for me. Another shadchan was at least honest enough to say, “You can’t support a family with a paycheck from a grocery store.” If you doubt that this is how many people think I challenge you to answer a few questions honestly. Would you marry a cashier? Would you let your child marry a cashier? Would you ever work as a cashier for a long period of time? I didn’t leave yeshiva to be told that I’m worthless or that I don’t make enough money to marry this type or that type of girl. I left yeshiva to make an honest living so that I could support a family. My experience as a cashier at Shloimy’s Kosher World pushed me to overcome my fears. In the fall of 2006 I enrolled in Ocean County College. (Part 2 of this article to be completed at a late time…) (Click here to comment on front page)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had some stimulating intelligent, albeit "snipet style", conversations with Avi at the cash register. How can we lose our best cashiers to the tarfus of education??? I think BMG should give kollel checks to those willing to stay in yeshiva and work part time as cashiers, and schmooze in learning and other inyanin in a torahdike way with the oilam HaKonim in HaChanus. NO? I hold its a shtarke taina!! Shkoiach again Avi!

Anonymous said...

That is disgusting. A girl won't marry a cashier?! She deserves to be a cleaning lady.