Friday, August 14, 2009

Avi Solomon On College Comments

My last two articles on my views of college have received mixed reviews. Some people have thanked me for saying what no one else will say. Other people have expressed to me that college isn’t for Lakewood and they would prefer that I not mention the idea on any forum that could be read by people from Lakewood. I have decided that since my goal of promoting college for those it might be helpful to wasn’t achieved the best thing to do is to drop the issue. Nevertheless, I would like to clarify a few points. In no way did I mean to suggest in my articles that a person in yeshiva should leave the sacred study of Torah to go to college. If a person’s rabbi tells him that college isn’t for him then I am not one to argue with a rav’s p’sak. My concern was for troubled teens who need structure and baalei batim who are tired of working a 9-5 job that doesn’t pay enough to support a family. Read more

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Solomon:
You want the days of "air our dirty laundry to the world" to begin in Lakewood. I'd prefer that we sweep our problems underneath the rug.

Anonymous said...

We all really LOVE you.Thanks for trying to help.YOU R THE BEST.

outoftheboxthinker said...

It is nice idea to try to help the at risk youth, but I am not sure that college is the solution.
the reason aLot of them are in trouble in the first place is that they are not academic and dont do well in their studies. They give up and lose interest in learning, which they are expected to do a great deal.
College would require serious learning (of the secular type, but learning nonetheless.)
so I am not sure this is a solution for these kids.
That being said, these kids need to be made to understand that they dont HAVE to learn all day forever. Just a little bit every day. They could work and earn an honest living and be productive members of society. Maybe taking that pressure off of them would prevent them from being so turned off of learning and yiddishkeit.
Then we have to tackle the idea of them being turned into productive people. College probably not, cuz of the academics involved, but maybe some kind of trade school...

Anonymous said...

I went to college. Then learned in Lakewood for 10 years in kollel. If it wasn't for my college degree I wouldn't be able to support my family today without going around begging. I don't believe college is for everybody, but if you don't get a degree at least have a long term outlook.

Anonymous said...

This just in. Enrollment in ocean county college has gone through the roof all of a sudden. The solomon factor?