Thursday, April 23, 2009

Readers' Scoop: Looking For 'Clean' Help

To the editor,

I have a cleaning help in my employ, and something about her gave me this unsettling feeling..She didn’t clean all that great,but she spoke English, she was very reliable and she always showed. I kept telling myself, I'll keep her until after Pesach and then I'll get a new one. One day my husband came into the house singing, and she tells me, "I see your husband is in a good mood". I just ignored her and attributed it to nosiness. But now its after Pesach, and I haven't found someone else and I am desperate for a clean house, so I mentioned to my daughter, who is twelve, maybe we should just take her back. My daughter told me, "you know what she told me,'you have to have a boyfriend already, first you have one, then he'll introduce you to others, I'll help you find one’"!! I am in utter shock, what kind of TRASH do we let into our homes?! Are we sacrificing the kedusha of our homes because of our comfort? On the other hand, it is not possible for me to do it on my own.
I would like to hear some your readers' opinions on the matter,
Thanks,
A Lakewood mother.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

there is nothing wrong with cleaning your own mess and if you work your hsbnd should get his hands dirty

Anonymous said...

get one that doesn't speak english

Anonymous said...

Its ok to have your kids know that a "ainoi yehudi" lives different then a yid. If a non yid offers her chazer would you flip out also?

Anonymous said...

its time some ppl start realizing that you cant have a mexican raising your kids. its our zechus to take care of the gashmiyus for our families.

Anonymous said...

since when do our kids have conversations with our cleaning help????

Anonymous said...

She has a goyishe kop and speaks like one. Tell your child we are different than goyim and nicely tell your help that she shouldn't give your daughter any advice. I never had any cleaning help and my kids were raised to help in the home. My daughter did play with a non-Jewish neighbor, but, I did not allow my daughter to go into her house, and they could only play together outside. I also explained to the little non-Jew that since my daughter was Jewish, we did things differently and dressed differently than her. It never became a problem and she accepted and respected our differences.

Anonymous said...

why is everyone being so understanding of the cleaning lady? my kids dont know whata boyfriend is and i dont want them to!

Proud American said...

Let your husband walk into the house one day with a T-Shirt with a Border Control Symbol on it and see how much longer she keeps her mouth open - if she stays at all that is...

Anonymous said...

Hiring illegal immigrants is against the law. Paying household employees under the table and not paying social security and payroll taxes is against the law. If you are employing illegal or undocumented house help, you are breaking the law. Whatever your children might be learning from your illegal and underpaid cleaning help is the least of your worries.

Anonymous said...

When one yungerman exclaimed proudly "the Shiksa says מודה אני with my kinderlach...."

I said you are doing it backwards- you shoul've retained a Bais yaakov girl to raise your children & married this sort of......domestic help....

Wake up and smell the coffee-we are our own enemy-מחריביך ומהרסיך ממיך....

Anonymous said...

and we r talking about internet ruining our children!! this is by far worse!who knows what else she told your daughter, let alone your son!

Anonymous said...

Are we sacrificing the kedusha of our homes because of our comfort? On the other hand, it is not possible for me to do it on my own.This has got to be a gag. Am I supposed to believe that someone in our community can give the same priority to the innocence and purity of our children and the cleanliness of our kitchens and toilets?

Ten years from now, let alone ten months from now, will the impact of the shiksa on your kitchen floor still be equal to her impact on your children?

Wake up!